With load shedding here to stay, it makes sense to invest in a generator to keep your business running during power outages. Generators for businesses are an excellent way to ensure that operations continue to run smoothly. For almost all businesses power outages affect fridges, machinery, computers, and critical systems and usually, every department comes to an abrupt stop. Investing in a generator will ensure that none of these operations are disrupted by the outages.
Maintain Your Investment
Regardless of the type of generator you acquire, it needs, as all machinery does, to be kept in good repair to keep it working as it should – and keeping your business running. Your generator will need attention throughout the year, and not just during power outages. By following the tips below, you can make sure that your generator provides a trouble free service, when you need it most.
- Servicing – a full servicing is recommended at least once or twice a year.
- Clean the generator after every use. When it is being used, rotors and stators are likely to collect dust and debris. If you let your generator build up too much dirt, the rotor and stator won’t generate energy as efficiently as possible. It’s also possible that the 2 parts will burn out faster than normal.
- Check and change the oil. Most, if not all, new generators need their first oil change done after 30 hours of use. After the first oil change is done, future oil changes only needed after every 100 hours of use. Old oil is often a cause for problem, so it is prudent to remove old oil and replace it with new.
- Use the correct weight oil – use the right type and viscosity of oil for your generator.
- Check and maintain both air and oil filters
- Store it safely – when not in use, your generator should be stored correctly in a cool, dry place. This will help eliminate rusting, and will extend its life.
Taking care of your generator means that you will have a reliable, efficient and healthy back up plan when power outages disrupt your workday.
Need more information about healthy generators? Speak to IEP Power Products today.